UPTON LAWN TENNIS CLUB – a brief history
In 1919, the parishioners of Upton wished to create a memorial to those members of the parish who had died in the Great War.To fulfil this wish, a large house in the middle of the village, known as “The Elms”, was bought through public subscriptions and donations from local benefactors. The house and its extensive grounds became a living memorial embracing various activities. At some point, the Hall was rebuilt further bak from the road on its present site (late 60s-early70s)
Upton Tennis Courts The building itself housed committee rooms, a small library, a snooker room and a bridge room. The grounds were developed to provide tennis courts, bowling green, croquet lawns and football pitches.
Upton Victory Hall In 1920, the organisation became a Charitable Trust with the objective to allow the complex to be used in perpetuity for 'recreation and social intercourse' for the benefit of the inhabitants of Upton”. It was called 'The Upton Victory Hall' and quickly became an important part of village life and was widely known for the excellence of its grounds, as it is to this day.
The old house was demolished and new hall was opened in 1964 providing similar facilities plus a badminton hall. Money was raised over the years through the sale of pieces of land including the football fields. This allowed the complex to develop and improve over the years including new buildings.
Upton Tennis Club Part of this development was the building of the present Tennis and Bowls pavilion in 1971, beside the courts and bowling green. This now provided extra social areas including a bar and for nearly 40 years has been an excellent venue for parties, dinners, the annual pantomime, and a haven for the regular supporters of the popular bar.
Set in the heart of the Wirral Peninsula the tennis club has served the community of Upton and the Wirral as one of the premier places to play tennis on the Wirral for nearly a 100 years and has been hosting the West Cheshire Regional Level Tennis Tournament for over 70 years that has been graced by many aspiring juniors such as the likes of Sue Barker and more recently Heather Watson.
Despite being steeped in tradition and still having 4 high quality grass courts for play between April and September to complement our 4 all weather carpet courts and dedicated practice wall, the club is a forward thinking club with a young and energetic committee and a dedicated and experienced club coach.
(Modern history yet to be added)